Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Creative Process . . . .

There are times in every artist's life when the creative juices cease to flow.  It is during these times that we must first relax, and then wait.... and wait.... and  wait...  While sitting in my home visiting with family today, I heard giggling coming from the other room. As I walked in to see what was going on, I was reminded of the creative process and how it starts...  My four year old and seven year old had built a fort out of a blanket.  They had draped it over the couch and an adjoining chair and were having the best time in their "make believe" world.  Just having fun... just being creative.... Later this evening, while having coffee and dessert for my brother's birthday I took the dog out for a short bathroom break.  While on our walk I couldn't help but notice the moon and the trees, and the snow.  The beauty around me transformed me into my very own "make believe" world.... upon returning home, I grabbed my camera, a tripod, and a flashlight to capture what I had seen.... the rest is now a memory.... We have to always remember that we do not create anything as artists.... rather, we reveal the creation around us to others as we see it.... When we have a "dry spell" in our creative process, we have to open ourselves to new roads, new processes, new ideas and allow ourselves to be moved by them.... I hope you take some time today to let yourself be moved.... let yourself be creative....
"Fallen Comrade"  This shot was taken of a tree that fell during a storm this winter. The tree was painted with a flashlight taken with a canon 5D and 17-40mm f4 lens mounted on a tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment