Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gingerbread Houses 2010 ....

Yesterday marked a new era in the Gardella household.  The torch was passed on to the next generation of bakers, builders, and eaters.  As a small child I can remember travelling to my Gram D's house every December to join my many cousins for a gingerbread house / Christmas cookie extravaganza.  We would gather in her tiny kitchen and let the sugar fest begin.  At the end of the day, our bellies full of candy and cookies, we'd travel home with plates mounded high with cookies of all kinds waiting to be placed under the tree for Santa and his Reindeer. Well, as of yesterday, my mother and mother-in-law gathered the troops together to carry the tradition into the next generation.  Fortunately for me, I was not there to see the sea of confectioners sugar covering the floor and table as well as the many random bits of candy found under couches, chairs and even in diapers after the clean up had taken place.  (The CDO in me would have freaked out! By the way, for those of you asking what the heck is CDO, well.... it's OCD alphabetized the way it should be!)  I'd like to take this time to thank both sets of grandparents personally for taking time to build the houses with my girls.  They had a blast and created memories that I know will last a lifetime. After all, I still remember from my childhood house building days.... And I've already started eating some.... shhhhhh.... don't tell the girls!  (I'd also like to thank my beautiful wife Becca for snapping a few shots... she also does video but we'll spare the public the family movies for now!  It really made my day to come home from work and see the smiles on their faces.... and the pictures of how the smiles got there....)
The building blocks for a healthy diet.....

When Dad's not around.... sampling of the goods takes place.

The Grandma's were left in charge!

Nina enjoys a snowman "PeeP"




The dreaded Sugar Crash!

Voila!

One for Us and One for each Grandma.... Somehow all three are still here!

Candy $10... Gingerbread $7.... Memories $Priceless$ !

No comments:

Post a Comment